Thursday, October 14, 2010

Candy Apples

A few years ago, we made these adorable tiny candy apples for my husband's birthday treat.
Family Fun Magazine always has the best ideas. I thought we would try them again and share our results! With Little Gal and Little Sissy older now they were able to help make the treats!

Tiny Candy Apples: Pepper's Variation

What I used:
Melon baller
apples (granny smith taste the best)
lollipop sticks
chocolate candy melts or chocolate chips
toppings
tiny muffin cups
Coffee filters (for holding sprinkles and toppings)



Step 1: Cut the lollipop sticks in half at a slant.
The pointy end will make it easy to stick into the apple balls.




Step 2: Use your melon baller to cut out your tiny apples!
One large apple will make about 7-8 tiny apples.



Step 3: Push one half lollipop stick into each tiny apple.
Pat apples dry or let your tiny apples-on-a-stick dry on a paper towel for 1-2 minutes.


Step 4: Prepare your sprinkles, toppings and paper cups for the dipping process
I used coffee filters to hold my toppings. Even though I don't drink coffee, I buy filters at least once a month to use for many other purposes... you will be amazed at all of the uses.


Step 5: Melt your chocolate!
I like using candy melts because the chocolate stays melted longer,
allowing you to "dip" more apples.


Step 6: Dip your apples in chocolate and roll it in the topping of your choice!



Since you prepared your muffin cups before, they are ready to hold each tiny candy apple!


Enjoy!


My favorite thing about this treat is that is also works as a craft for kids!
Everyone loves eating something they can help create. Use your imagination and make them your own! We have dipped them in chocolate, caramel and even peanut butter!

Happy dipping!

Cheers,


2 comments:

Kylie said...

These are adorable. Yum! I want to eat them all! I don't know if it's very safe to be pregnant this time of year...

Mommy V! said...

wow!thank you so much for this...i showed this to my daughter(she'll be 5 this Nov)and she said she can do this also(lol)...maybe we can use this as one of treat for her party..thanks!