Thursday, March 25, 2010

In the Meantime...here's a how-to list.

Well, I have been trying to brainstorm and finish some projects for this letter I wrote to Sassy.
It is taking longer than I thought it would. Partly because my first item to check of the fix-that-too-short-skirt list was to try on some too short skirts!

Looking through my closet, I found 2 dresses that were a bit too short and have therefore never been worn. I also spent two hours trying on clothes in department stores for this purpose (and I had a gift card I needed to use). This was a huge sacrifice of time and conscience, because I HATE trying on clothes. Anything going over my head or squeezing where it shouldn't just puts me in a bad mood.

I came up with a great list of how-to-find clothes that fit in my searching!

Any body type is hard to clothe. You are either short, tall, thin, cushy, round bottom and flat chest (or other way around). No matter what - you will have to search for clothes that look amazing on you. Here is my first tip:

1. Try the clothes on
If you have time, go to the store. I know catalog and online shopping is really fun, and who doesn't love getting something in the mail? Just make sure you are okay with returning it if it doesn't fit, and please follow their sizing chart. Then you are less likely to be annoyed if it doesn't work out.

2. DO NOT shop ONLY in the Juniors section
I will admit, 1/2 of my wardrobe is from Forever 21 because I am on a budget.
I do own a lot more Juniors clothing that I should. It is fun to be trendy!
The problem is that the sizing is for junior sized girls. So be prepared to go up 1-2 sizes to find the right fit. Also, the rises on jeans and pants will be lower, and the skirts and dresses higher.
I am not saying don't shop there, just keep your mind open to other places!

3. Don't stick to a "size"
I am usually a WOMEN's size 2. That can change easily to a size 7 or 9 in Juniors depending on the fabric! I have certain sizes that I stick to at certain stores. For instance if I buy a size 2 something from Banana it will probably fit. But if I buy a size 1-2 from Charlotte Russe, I might not be able to get it past my hips. This goes back to rule #1. Try it on, and if it doesn't fit, try one size up (or down). You might just find that perfect pair of jeans!

4. Take a friend
This is usually my biggest mistake. I see something on someone, and impulse buy. Then realize it doesn't look good on me, but I keep it anyway hoping the next time I try it on it will look different. After a couple of years, the poor never worn item ends up in the goodwill box. So sad.
Go shopping with a friend! Just make sure you have similar taste, and you know each other well enough to say "you kind of look fat". You will both come away with something you love!

Okay, on to part two of my search and fix!
Wish me luck!

Cheers,


1 comment:

Sassy said...

I SO agree with not sticking to a size. I mean, if you have to stick to a size you should only buy clothes at the stores with the happier sizing. Like Banana.

Great list, Peps!