Wednesday, February 17, 2010

TUTORIAL: Mini Freezer Pies!

As promised, I've prepared detailed instructions and a step-by-step photo tutorial for making these yummy mini freezer pies!

Seriously, these are delicious and cute! I mean, look at that tiny pie. Don't you just want to scarf it up and hug it at the same time? I suggest you just eat it.
Well let's get to it!

First off, you'll need mini jam jars (the crust recipe should provide enough for 8) like this one:

If you have your jars, you probably have everything else you'll need to make these delicious babies.

Mix up a batch of this all-butter pastry crust. It will take you only about 5 minutes, because I know you're freaking awesome.
With your crust ready, make your pie tops. Grab a tennis ball-sized chunk of crust and roll it out to create the tops. Then cut the toppers using the lid from one of your jars. Easy as pie (pun intended)! Set these aside for later.

Next, press the crust into all of your pie jars. Don't worry about greasing them. Just grab chunks of crust and line the jars by pressing with your fingers. Try to get your crust close to the tops of the jars.
Done! That was easy, eh?

Now create your pie fillings! Use your favorite fruit, or whatever you have lying around. For instance, I made some amazing peach pies in the fall, but since peaches aren't in season I used jarred peaches for these little pies and they were still very yummy.

Basic Pie Filling Recipe:
2 C prepared fruit (peaches, apples, cherries, etc.)
2 T sugar (use brown or white, depending on your fruit. I used brown for my peach and apple pies)
2 T flour (less for dry fruits, like apples)
1 T butter (to be divided among the prepared pies)
Seasonings of your choice. I used about a teaspoon of pumpkin pie spice for both the varieties I made in these pictures. Be creative!

I made peach and apple for this tutorial:

Now fill up the pies!

Remember that little chunk of butter. It makes the pies extra fab.

Create a vent in your pie toppers. I like to do shapes, like these cute little hearts. Place the tops on the pies and, using your finger, seal the tops to the crust on the inside of the jar.
Screw the lids on and you're done! Pop these babies in the freezer and you'll always be 45-60 minutes away from a scrumptious little dessert!

Baking Instructions:
Take your pies out of the freezer and remove the lids. Place the pies on a baking sheet and pop into a 375 degree oven for 50-60 minutes, until the insides are bubbly and the crust is golden brown.

Pop them out or eat them straight from the jar, smothered in ice cream...

Note: if baking fresh or thawed pies, bake for 45 minutes.

The pies won't explode. Stop having a heart attack. If you are concerned, you can place them in the oven to warm while it preheats. Props to Our Best Bites for first introducing me to this awesome dessert!

I wonder if your pies made it to the freezer at all? Mine did, but only because I had leftover pie bits and made myself a little galette to hold me over.

Peace out, pie eaters!

6 comments:

Whittron said...

I love them in a jar!!! That is genius!!!

Amy said...

I don't have jam jar, but I bet ramekins would work great, too!

Sassy said...

Thanks Whit! Make some. You'll LOVE them. :)

Amy, ramekins would work great! I am a huge ramekin fan. You won't be able to freeze them as well, so you'll just have to eat the whole lot of 'em at once. Darn it...

The Peterson Life said...

I don't know if I can follow the tutorial, but I do know how to get to your house to pick up one of your "leftover" frozen ones.

The Peterson Life said...

I don't know if I can follow these directions. BUT, i do know how to get to your house. You know, for "leftovers"!

M.M.M. said...

This is an awesome idea.
I usually just go to my neighborhood McDonalds when I am need of an apple pie.